This recipe is the reason behind this blog.. :-) - Shanu - my friend who is a loyal reader and user of this blog loves masale bhaat. She asked me for this recipe and I decided to write it in a blog.. but actually ended up posting the Undhiyo recipe first..
It has been a loooong time since Shanu asked for the recipe and she has been very patient with me... so here's to Shanu -
Source: "Hamakhaas Paaksiddhi", a marathi cookbook and my Mom of course :-)
Time: 1.5 hours
Ingredients: (for 5-6 people)
- rice 2 bowls
- Water 4 bowls
- peas (defrost the frozen peas) - 1 bowl
- Vertically cut Tondali (Tinda) - 1 bowl
- Cashew nut slices - 1/2 bowl
- Jaggery about 1 inch cube
- Tadka - Mustard seeds, hing, turmeric powder and 5-6 kadhipatta (curry) leaves
- Masala: either use ready made Kala Masala (3 spoons) or use the Masala recipe to make it at home
Soak the rice in water for about 1/2 hour before making Masale Bhaat. Remove the water from the rice just before making the tadka.
Start heating the water on low heat on one burner.
On the other burner make tadka with the curry leaves and add peas, cut tondali and sliced cashewnuts. Saute for a couple of minutes. Add rice and saute for two more minutes.
Add kala masala and mix well.
Add the hot water, jaggery and salt to taste.
Close the lid and cook on low-medium heat till the rice is fully cooked (takes about 10-15 minutes).
Garnish with fresh shredded coconut, coriander and desi ghee
- dessicated coconut powder - 1 tbsp
- white sesame seeds - 1 tbsp
- cloves - 3-4
- cinnamon - 2 - one inch pieces
- Ilayachi - 2
- cumin seeds - 1 spoon
- dry red chillies - 5-6